RE: Building Codes Online?

Dennis,

Responding to two posts in one....

Thank you for your complimentary postings about AISC. I appreciate that very
much.

While I think you are correct below that there are costs that could be
economized, I do not think it is as grand a savings potential as you seem to
think. I do agree that some products seem to be well overpriced in the
marketplace. I won't name names. Cough! D1.1.

Fairly priced or not, though, I think there is no reason for a
businessperson (engineers included) to think that someone else should buy
them or give them the tools they need to earn a living. Buy them, use them,
and charge what you should for the services you provide. Isn't that the way
to elevate this profession?

Charlie

Dennis wrote...
With all due respect, the majority of the work is done by volunteers and
their work is compiled in electronic format. The face-to-face meeting
while necessesary is extremely abused as much of the information covered
in these meetings could have been done as "grunt" work using electronic
forms of communications the same as we do right here. There are services
in place that are not being utilized and are wasting money. The cost of
code compiliation for International codes, if followed according to past
code development costs will reach a point that most professionals will
never reconcile in their membership dues.
So, what you are saying, if I should be so bold, is that code
development organizations continue to raise prices on membership,
publication and more just to allow code developers (who mostly volunteer
their time) to obtain the perks of a nice hotel room, good food, airline
tickets and other reimbursible expenses rather than biting the bullet
and realizing the necessity to explore and use alternative modern
methods.
Who should pay for it - the homebuyer or a precentage of each permit
that is issued - not the design professional whose fees can't keep up
with the additional hours required to comply with complicated code
methods.

Dennis S. Wish, PE