Re: Wind Loads - UBC 97 vs ASCE 7

The wind speed in the 97 UBC is a fastest mile speed. The wind speed in
ASCE 7 is a 3-second peak gust. 110 mph fastest mile speed is "about" 130
mph 3-sec gust. The commentary in ASCE 7 on wind may have some discussion
in it about how to convert exactly from fastest mile to 3-sec gust.
*************************************
Bill Coulbourne, P.E.
Principal Structural Engineer
URS Corp.
200 Orchard Ridge Drive
Suite 101
Gaithersburg, Md 20878
301-670-3344 (Office)
301-869-8728 (Fax)
703-850-2891 (Cell)
bill_coulbourne(--nospam--at)urscorp.com

                      "M. David
                      Finley, P.E."            To:      <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                      <pec(--nospam--at)isgroup.net         cc:
                      >                        Subject: Wind Loads - UBC 97 vs ASCE 7

                      10/08/02 11:44
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to seaint

A client has asked me to design the footings for a concrete batch plant.
The manufacturer has provided all of the column reactions from the
manufacturer, but they are based upon 110 mph wind per UBC 97.  Being an
East coast guy, I have no experience with the UBC.

I will be using ASCE 7 in order to comply with the Florida Building Code.
The design wind speed for the area is 110 mph.

Can anyone familiar with both codes tell me what, if any, major differences
exist between the wind load provisions of UBC '97 and ASCE 7?

TIA,

M. David Finley, P.E.
3810 South First Street - Suite 7
Lake City, FL  32025