From: M. David Finley, P.E. [mailto:pec(--nospam--at)isgroup.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 10:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Wind Loads - UBC 97 vs ASCE 7

A client has asked me to design the footings for a concrete batch plant.  The manufacturer has provided all of the column reactions from the manufacturer, but they are based upon 110 mph wind per UBC 97.  Being an East coast guy, I have no experience with the UBC.

I will be using ASCE 7 in order to comply with the Florida Building Code.  The design wind speed for the area is 110 mph.

Can anyone familiar with both codes tell me what, if any, major differences exist between the wind load provisions of UBC '97 and ASCE 7?

TIA,

M. David Finley, P.E.
3810 South First Street - Suite 7
Lake City, FL  32025