RE: Wind Loads - UBC 97 vs ASCE 7

They are quite a bit different. ASCE7 has factors for topographic effects and structure rigidity. The width of the discontinuity zones to which higher element pressures must be applied are different, and ASCE uses a bunch of charts to define pressure coefficients rather than the simpler tables in the UBC. The UBC is, I think, a lot simpler to apply, but the ASCE methodology is more current.
-----Original Message-----
From: M. David Finley, P.E. [mailto:pec(--nospam--at)isgroup.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 8:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Wind Loads - UBC 97 vs ASCE 7

A client has asked me to design the footings for a concrete batch plant.  The manufacturer has provided all of the column reactions from the manufacturer, but they are based upon 110 mph wind per UBC 97.  Being an East coast guy, I have no experience with the UBC.

I will be using ASCE 7 in order to comply with the Florida Building Code.  The design wind speed for the area is 110 mph.

Can anyone familiar with both codes tell me what, if any, major differences exist between the wind load provisions of UBC '97 and ASCE 7?

TIA,

M. David Finley, P.E.
3810 South First Street - Suite 7
Lake City, FL  32025