Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 1:27 PM
Subject: RE: Wind Loads - UBC 97 vs ASCE 7

They are quite a bit different. ASCE7 has factors for topographic effects and structure rigidity. The width of the discontinuity zones to which higher element pressures must be applied are different, and ASCE uses a bunch of charts to define pressure coefficients rather than the simpler tables in the UBC. The UBC is, I think, a lot simpler to apply, but the ASCE methodology is more current.