RE: Building Codes on-line

By placing the issues before the concerned public, there is a much
better chance of ridding both the government and the private sector of
abuse. The problem is that the private sector has proven to be more
devious at hiding the abuses than the government who is under constant
scruteny by one party or the other.
I am in favor of government regulating issues like this even if it means
that we pay for it in our taxes.
What would please me more is if we could stop wasteing time and money
allocating our concerns to representatives and senators when the final
decision rests on the neck of the public. We have the ability to make
every tax payer a voter on each issue. I am not a party supporter - and
feel that some issues supported by republicans are good while others
supported by democrates are good - but I've yet to find one politician
whose entire platform agrees with my beliefs.
At this time, the value of who we vote for has more to do with choosing
the one issue most important to us and then voting for the
representative that consents to this side to represent us in congress.
However, we ignore the fact that we may vehemently disagree with the
other bills he would gladly pass - but we have set our positions in
stone and must let the representative misrepresent us.
I believe that issues like code creation is best left to the decision of
the members of the profession to work out, but that we should not allow
non-elected or even representatives to agree to methods that we
ultimately disagree with (like the use of design methods for commercial
buildings on residential structures).
Again, I say, we have the resources and technology in place to allow
each of us to take responsibility for the decisions of the profession we
belong to. If we can't do this, then we don't deserve to practice.

Dennis