RE: Building Codes Online?

Scott,
BSSC does not pay for their members to attend face-to-face meetings
either, although I would assume that large organizations like AF&PA
reimburse their attending members even though I was told that is not
true.
I have been working with the TS-7 committee of BSSC (unless they have
thrown me off for my desenting comments) and in the past I have worked
with SEAOSC on the writing of the code that became the UCBC Appendix
Chapter 1 and I did some work on the wood retrofit in the UCBC Appendix
5. In each case including the present BSSC sub-committee, the work is
numbered as it will appear in final print.
It may be ACI that does things differently, but I would still contend
that most committees who contribute to code writing produce the document
within the committee as it will be published. This makes sense in order
to keep track of each section and sub-section.
While you may be correct on SEAOC's practices, it was our work to set in
each monthly committee meeting and review every word that was to be
published. There were so many arguments over the use of "should" and
"shall" that it became very tedius work. Still, this was our
responsibility in order to produce a code section that could be
published. I don't see where additional writing is done. Every member is
given a draft to review in their own time, but the discussions were done
over tables, not in listservices or discussion forums.
In my opinion, had they used the List or discussion forum technology, we
would have a means of tracing back to where issues that we are now
debating or arguing over originated and the reason why they were written
the way they were.

Dennis