RE: Building Codes Online?

Scott,
Good thoughts, but my taxes represent a small portion of what I really
pay for things. In this case, I would opt to have my taxes go up.
However, I think that people don't complain about paying additional
fee's for permits and these do not directly affect us. The highest fee's
I paid when I built my home was for the local Schools and I did not have
children or grandchildren at the time who I expected to use them. I had
fees to pay as part of my taxes for garbage removal and for sewers (many
homes here were on septic systems).
The permit fee's were reasonable and anyone who wants a home of their
own will generally pay whatever price it takes to live where they want.
If this is a low income home, then there is no restriction from a local
jurisdiction to lower their fees to accommodate the low income family.

I believe that the cost of building codes is best left to the public
paid for by their permit and community fees to help cover the cost of
publication cost that are now covered by the payment of code purchases
by engineers and architects.

I think that times are changing and one of the issues that was mentioned
to me in a private letter from another party was the lack of cooperation
from ICBO - a non-profit organization, to make their books available for
scruteny by the public. This is a public document and should be made
available for all to review.

Finally, the professional community should also have a say in how funds
are spent and publishing companies should take specific cautions to
insure that the cost to reproduce a code is done with the least expense
and the cost of publication should represent this savings.

I think ICBO does this to some degree when they offer codes and
publications free with membership - but the true test will be the
scruteny of code creation costs are actually spent.

Dennis