RE: Virus Alert

The teddy bear icon file is a windows files dealing with running java.  That warning itself is the "virus" here, in that it is designed to trick people into deleting a useful file.  Thankfully, deleting it is not usually that serious, but could limit your ability to run java programs and view _javascript_ed web materials.  Check it out on one of the credible virus warning pages.  Some of these will also tell you how to replace the file if you've already deleted it.

Paul Crocker

-----Original Message-----
From: vicpeng [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 10:07 AM
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Subject: Fw: Virus Alert

VIRUS ALERT

----- Original Message -----
To: Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 9:16 AM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Gibbs" <tmgibbs(--nospam--at)caribsurf.com>
To: "Tony&Mary Gibbs" <tmgibbs(--nospam--at)caribsurf.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 10:25 AM
Subject: Virus Alert

> Dear Persons on my address list,
>
> I received this message from a friend this morning.  I telephoned him to check whether it was genuine.  He confirmed that it was.  I followed the instructions and I found the virus and I deleted it.
>
> Sincerely
> Tony Gibbs
>
> please read and follow instructions
>
> Friends, Family, & Colleagues,
>
> I just found this message in my email from one of my colleagues, followed the instructions, and deleted this nasty virus.  (I just updated my virus protection last week and the new virus protection did not pick it up!)  If you get this message, you are in my address book and will probably find the virus on your hard drive too.  I'm sorry.  Instructions for removal are listed below.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
>

> please check your C drives
>

> >To everyone listed in my address book:
>
> > >I just received a message from a friend whose address book had been infected by a virus that was passed on to me - and everyone in my address book. After following the instructions, I found the virus indeed was residing in my C drive.

I have followed the easy directions and deleted it, but it has probably been passed on to everyone in my address book. I am very sorry about this, but please follow the instructions below and it should get rid of the virus. (It did for me).

> > >Apparently the virus lies dormant for 14 days before it does its nasty work, but I wouldn't want to take the chance on that. Below is the message, relayed exactly as I received it today.
>
> > >"The virus, called jdbgmgr.exe, is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti-virus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is sent automatically by messenger and by the Address Book, whether or not you sent e-mails to your contacts.

Here is how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it.

YOU MUST DO THIS:
1. Go to Start; Go to the Find or Search option.
2. In the Files/Folder option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C drive and any other devices that you may have.
4. Click "find now"
5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe - DO NOT OPEN IT !!!!!!!
6. Go to edit. Choose "Select All" to highlight the file without opening it.
7. Now go to File and select Delete. (even if it says it's a program file). It will go into your recycle bin.
8. Go to Recycle Bin and delete it there as well.
"IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.

To do this, open a new e-mail message. Click the photo of the address book next to "To". Click every name and add it to "BCC"

Copy this message, paste to e-mail, enter the subject, and send."

Upgrade Your Email - Click here!