RE: Standard of Care: Investigation of Existing Building Structure for Alteration or Addition

From: Cratylus Consulting Group [mailto:cratylus(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 2:41 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Standard of Care: Investigation of Existing Building Structure for Alteration or Addition

Bill, a working definition used in California, for question #1, is as follows:
"The level of skill and competence ordinarily and
contemporaneously demonstrated by professionals of the same
discipline working in the same locale and faced with the same
conditions and circumstances."
As for question #2, I would suggest that it is not "how you gather the information",
but what you rely upon that is important.

I didn't mean to imply that the means and methods were the focus. Rather, since I have NO information at all about the structure, in my opinion to rely upon "best guess" for example, would NOT demonstrate a "level of skill and competence" that I would care to display, not matter what the professionals in my locale are doing.