Re: ADA (was Re: Building Codes on-line)

And I am sure that those who are stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of
their life would gladly suffer from longer lines if it somehow were
possible for a miracle to occur that they would no longer be stuck in that
wheelchair.

Personally, while I would be willing to admit that the ADA may not be
perfect and may not cleanly or fully accomplish everything that it is
meant to accomplish, I find the whole direction of this thread slightly
offensive.  I find it at least a little distrubing that some seem to be
unwilling to offer a little compassion to those who find themselves in a
position that is already difficult and that they likely did not choose to
place themselves.

Having a medical condition myself that does place me within the realm of
the ADA but is not serious enough for me to be forced make use of my
rights under the ADA (fortunately, my medical condition is such that I
don't necessarily need to use the ADA which means that I can choose to or
not), I can certainly find more than enough compasion that things like
having to park a little farther from the door due to "excessive" numbers
of handicapped parking spaces and having to wait a little longer to use
the restroom due to fewer fixtures are things that I can definitely live
with.  I also don't mind that I might have to pay more for things or in
taxes due to this act of the government because I feel fortunate that I am
not confined to a wheelchair or something similar.

As to the ADA being "NOT appropriate" or useless, I personally thing this
is a load of crap.  While it MAY cost consumers more and it MAY "...end up
bankrolling the bloated trial lawyers lobby to unbelievalbe
proportions...", I strongly suspect that those who are unfortunate enough
to be forced to rely on the ADA to try to make their life a little more
"normal" find that it does a lot more than drive up consumer costs and put
money in lawyer's pockets.  I would suggest that those who consider the
ADA a waste of money consider themselves lucky that they have not had to
have first hand experience of a life that makes something like the ADA
necessary.  One the other hand, maybe if some such people could truly walk
a mile in someone's shoes who is forced into the realm of the ADA, they
could learn a new perspective in life and realize that they used to be an
idiot when it came to this subject.

I would apologize if my comments offend anyone, but then to a certain
degree that was their intent.  To me, this is why discussions on this list
are supposed to stick to the engineering issue...political, religious, and
other potentially volatile subjects tend to get messy and usually manage
to become offensive or objectionable to someone.

Political mode off.

Respectfully,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI