From: Gerard Madden, PE [mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)attbi.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 9:04 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Plan Check question

I always put it in my general notes, not because a plan checker asked
me, but because I always appreciated getting a set of drawings for an
existing building with the design criteria already on the drawings.

On all my projects, I put gravity, wind, seismic design criteria, the
soil data when available, and deflection criteria in the drawings. It
takes 15 minutes max.

Specifically for soils data, I reference the report like a Bibliography
(so everyone knows I'm not making these things up), put the phone number
of the GE, and then I list the important info like ASBP, Friction
Coeff., EFP etc.... I limit myself to numbers and not really to
procedural things (like compaction methods). On pier and grade beam
foundations for residences, I put a note on the plans that a
representative of the soils engineer shall be present during the
drilling of piers to verify depth and the potential need for an
increased depth.

Hth.

-gerard
Santa Clara, CA