RE: Structural Bolt Torquing Question

Eric-

The torque is not specified, rather it is specified that the bolts be
pretensioned. The torque-tension relationship is highly variable,
therefore job site testing is used to verify achievement of the AISC
minimum pretension based on of the installation method to be used
(calibrated wrench, turn-of-nut, TC bolt, DTI, etc.). The way we do this
is to specify bolts as slip critical in the detail and then include a
statement in the general notes that says all bolts designated as
slip-critical be installed per Section 8.3 and inspected per Section 9.3
of the 2000 RCSC spec.

HTH,
Heath

==
> NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged
> information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
> viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by
> unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this
> message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message
> and deleting it from your computer.

==