From: Eric Green [mailto:EGreen(--nospam--at)walterpmoore.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 1:01 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Structural Bolt Torquing Question

This is where the question came about. The specification gives torque
information when using the turn of the nut method (Table 8.2), but gives
no information for torque when using torque control.

I realize the specification does state that the minimum tension should
be equal to 70 percent of yield and I certainly understand how to
calculate pre-stress from torque. I guess my question more accurately
stated would be:

Who specifies K so that the relationship between torque and tension can
be determined? Surely one does not depend on the contractor for this
information? Is it determined by the testing lab for each type of bolt,
nut and thread compound (if used)?

Eric Green
- Fighting my ignorance since 1964.