Re: Structural Observation

Verne,

The Structural Observation requirements are in Chapter 17, specifically 1702.  Item 5 says "When such observation is specifically required by the building official".  That said, the building department has no obligation to tell you how to perform the actual observation.

To provide guidance, SEAONC developed an excellent document titled "Guidelines for Special Inspection and Structural Observation in Accordance with the 1997 UBC".  It use to be a free download however I think they charge for it know.

Many cities (municipalities) have there own forms and guideline documents.  One source is LARUCP at  http://www.icbolabc.org/ .  Click on Los Angeles Regional Uniform Code Program, then click on Phase II.  A short ways down you will find three PDF files for guidelines and an actual form you can use.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

VerneK(--nospam--at)aol.com

10/11/2002 06:16 AM