From: Regis King [mailto:steelfishes(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 8:11 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ADA (was Re: Building Codes on-line)

Everything has a cost.  Every dollar that is added to the cost of a housing
project, for instance, means it is that much less likely it will be built,
and that much less affordable if it is.  The public policy question is one
of balance, weighing the needs of disabled individuals against the needs of
other constituencies such as prospective home owners and businesses.  You
can stand behind a person in a wheelchair and lecture about compassion and
someone else could stand behind a person who can't afford decent housing and

lecture about compassion.  I think what got the response that your post did
was not so much your defense of ADA, but your apparent defense of compasion
at any cost (when it suits your opinions), and your condenscending tone to
suggest that anyone who questions ADA can't possibly know what they are
talking about because they (you assume) aren't disabled.  Telling someone
they are not allowed to question your opinion is the surest way to guarentee

that someone will.  It's fine to say that you accept the trade offs that
policy decision necessarily imply, but it is a tad arrogent to tell people
who may be negatively affected that they have no right to complain until
they have been in the other person's position.  That assumes, without you
showing them the same courtesy of walking in their shoes, that their
concerns are less valid, and that their inconveniences and losses are less
important.  By avoiding a serious discussion of the need or the cost,
neither of you make a very good case for your positions, in my opinion.

Regis