Flamecut Holes for Bolting

I am full of bolt questions this week:

The Specification for Structural Joints Using ASTM A325 or A490 Bolts allows flame cut holes for bolts. It further states that thermally cut surfaces do not have to be ground for static loads (Section 3.3). How do I convince an erector that this is referring to the surface of the cylindrical hole he has cut, and does not mean that he can leave slag on the faying surface? I have pointing out section 3.2 that states these surfaces must be clear of foreign material but he says this is in contradiction to 3.3 and he chooses 3.3. I would like a written reference if you know of one, otherwise it is simply my opinion and since he is older, he is obvious correct in matters of opinion (in his opinion). Ouch, my head is hurting.

Thanks:

Eric Green