Re: Structural Observation

Verne,

Make your own list.  This is your opportunity to get things done right that might be done wrong.  Ask yourself what in the project is important to its proper completion that the Building Inspector is likely not to understand or not likely to look at thoroughly.  List those items on the drawings for your observation.  You won't have opportunity to inspect it since you can't be there all the time, but the observation gives you opportunity to determine whether the contractor understood the drawings, and to point out where the contractor needed guidance.  I don't believe I've ever made a visit to one of my projects under construction that was a waste of time.

I want to see shear walls including hold downs before they are covered [takes two visits for walls sheathed 2 sides], unconventional framing details that are easy to overlook [blocks under posts in framing where column loads must pass through the floor framing system, for example], and details that are hard to get at, that Inspectors and supervisors probably won't want to crawl to for a look.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net