Re: Steel truss in cantilever

Regarding the effective length for axial loads along the length of
the column, I have gone through this exercise several dozen
times.  The AISC (Design Guide 7) and AISE (TR13) both
publish tables for stepped columns, i.e., crane columns with a
top & intermediate load.  The AISC Engineering Journal (Oct
1972) also published a program to calculate these factors for
stepped columns.

Also, see "Iron & Steel Engineer Year Book", 1968.  Also, see AISC
Engineering Journal (Jan 1969), "Some Non-Conventional Cases
of Column Design" by Suresh Dalal.  This covers symmetrical
stepped columns, prismatic columns with distributed axial
laod, prixmatic columns with intermediate axial loads with and
without end loads.

Finally, there is an article in "Engineering" a British
publication, by Prof. W.J. Duncan (1952) which shows
derivation of these formulas.  Also, refer to a paper APM54-
16, "Design of Columns with Varying Cross Sections" by Dr. A.
Dimick from the old USSR, translated by M. Maletz of Chicago,
in the transactions of the American Society of Mechanical
Engineers.

Gary Hodgson, P.Eng
Niagara Falls, ON

On 10 Oct 2002 at 4:48, Javier Encinas wrote:

> The second condition will control the size of the cantilever bottom chord. The question is: What is the appropriate k-value for this compression member? If the load was applied as a concentrated force at the end of the cantilever k would be about 2, but in fact the load linearly increases from
zero at the end to a maximum value at the support, and therefore k=2 seems conservative. Could anybody please comment on this issue? Regards,