Re: ADA (was Re: Building Codes on-line)

>Actually, the idea is not that the government should not be involved in most
>of the things you brought up, it is the recognizition that it is not the
>role of the FEDERAL government according to the U.S. Constitution.
Most of the things I listed involve interstate conmmerce, which is part
of the federal government's role. The boiler code in particular evolved
because of problems with getting equipment manufactured in one
jurisdiction licenced for use in another. Actually uilding codes are
pretty much based on the same document which is national in scope. State
and local jurisdictions work fine in pressure vessel safety, one of the
reasons being that there's a single national code which states generally
adopt as a whole. No reason that building codes shouldn't work the same
way.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw