RE: ADA (was Re: Building Codes on-line)

Yes, it is. Building codes and engineering laws are properly handled at the
state and local levels. They are NOT the province of the Federal government.
See the Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

> Well, how about campaign finance laws--
> Uh...maybe that's not so good either...

Especially since such laws violate the First Amendment to the Constitution.
But it sounds like we're all about tossing that document, anyway.

> OK, booze--that's a good area for voluntary compliance.
> OK..that one needs work, too...

Yes, it does. Laws governing the sale and distribution of alcohol, and
driving under the influence, are properly handled at the state and local
levels. They are NOT the province of the Federal government. See the Tenth
Amendment to the United States Constitution.

> Anyway, here's the general principle--anything that might be inconvenient
> gets made voluntary so any schlockmeister who craves a fast buck won't
> have to worry about being held accountable when his rotten judgement
> kills someone.

This is a non-sequitur. The Federal government has no place in any of the
things you mentioned. They are there ONLY because the Constitution is
infringed routinely and with maximum impunity by those who think they know
better how to govern the lives of the individual than the individual does.

>(Damn--and I was going to stay out of this thread as a demonstration of
> the spiritual value of ignoring crazy talk....)

And instead, you engaged in quite a bit of it yourself.