ADA (Almost done with this yet?)

bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc wrote:

<<Most of the "feel good" laws of the past three-quarters of a century, from Social Security to the Great Society programs to ADA all have high and mighty ideals--and all are abject failures that have cost society far more than any benefits they ever purported to offer.  If only we had that FIVE TRILLION bucks back from Johnson's "Great Society"--all spent without having one iota of effect on the level of "poverty" in the U.S.--think what kind of good the PRIVATE SECTOR could have done with the money.>>

Bill.

I'm not sure how Lyndon Johnson got into this topic, but at least we're moving in the right direction blaming him for some of our current problems.

In any case, you might be interested in a project I worked on a few years back.  It was a seismic repair of a county courthouse here in California, and included a number of ADA upgrades piggy-backed onto the project.

Now, if a person shows up to this particular courthouse in a wheelchair:

He (or she) doesn't need to park way down at the bottom level of the parking garage in the far corner, because now he has a special parking space set aside just for him, with signs pointing the way, and lovely blue stripes to identify it.

He doesn't have to worry about being run over as he struggles to get out of the car into his wheelchair, because now there is an area adjacent to his car big enough to keep him out of harm's way.

He doesn't have to worry about getting hit by an SUV backing up, because now he has a dedicated route through the parking garage, also painted with lovely blue stripes.

He doesn't have to ask for someone to help carry him up the courthouse steps, because now there is a ramp with a landing at the top, just for his use.

He doesn't have to struggle to open the door to get into the courthouse, because the door now has hardware and closers designed with him in mind.

He doesn't need to abandon his wheelchair to use the restroom (and get someone to carry him inside), because now the door is wide enough for his wheelchair to fit (and he has enough room to manuever inside).

He doesn't need to wipe his hands on his own clothes (yuk) when he's done in the restroom, because now he can get to the sink and he can actually reach the paper towels.

If his lawyer doesn't show up on time, he can use the telephone in the hallway that was lowered to be accessible to him.

If the going gets tough inside the courtroom, he can take a break and get a drink of water from the drinking fountain that was lowered enough for him to use.

And get this, if he's blind, he doesn't have to guess which door leads to the restroom and which one leads to the courtroom, because now all the doors have these funny little bumps that only he knows how to read.

And finally, if he wants to sue you and your friends, he not only has the legal right to do so, he can actually have access to the building and confront you face-to-face.

And I helped.

Carl Sramek