From: Dave Adams [mailto:davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com]
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 10:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: FW:

Rick:

I am currently NOT reducing the seismic loads by 1.4 (using full "E")
when using the equations for omega-0 since that's the way the equation
is referenced and that is ICBO's instruction for the use of the
overstrength equations.  However, it seems that (... and I may be way
off base) for ASD, by not dividing E by 1.4 we are doing things
conservatively, since I believe a "rough" equivalent of R (1997 UBC) =
Rw/1.4 (1994 UBC), which would include for the old 3Rw/8 overstrength
factor.

We're adding overstrength to a strength-level force, but designing with
service level methods, which seems to be too conservative.  The omega-0
factor is the same for ASD & LRFD and the 1.7 allowable stress increase
for "strength" applications has not changed from code to code.  The way
the code is written and instructed, the 1.4 is not supposed to be taken
out for overstrength, but it sounds like an error to leave it in.  Do
you have any thoughts or background on the overstrength sections of the
code?

Also, Division V is, in fact, for allowable stress design.

Best regards,
Dave K. Adams, S.E.
Lane Engineers, Inc.
Tulare, CA