RE: Tensile capacity of threaded rods

No, they both say that for the fasteners tabulated, the
strengths/stresses given are based on the unthreaded area of the bolt.
Ab is defined in ASD Spec. Section J3.4 and 3rd Ed. LRFD Spec. Section
J3.6.

The 2000 RCSC commentary has a good discussion of this. It says that the
design values account for a tensile stress area = 75% of the unthreaded
area.

HTH,

Heath