ADA (Almost almost done)

christopher.deneff(--nospam--at)fmglobal.com writes:

<<I also was going to stay out of this thread but the results of a seismic retrofit project I worked on a few years back were a lot different. The ADA requirements added so much to the cost of the project (this was a concrete tilt-up with a small second floor so the costs weren't incredibly high to begin with) that the owner could not go through with the retrofit.>>

Chris.

For sure.

Well, its too late to stay out of this thread now, but I think you caught the tail end anyway.  I noticed Dennis Wish pointed out in a separate response that some jurisdictions have a "hardship" limit.  In our case, at the start of the courthouse retrofit project, we made a list of the ADA upgrades that we felt were appropriate relative to the cost and extent of seismic retrofit.  The "hardship" limit was discussed but in our case I don't believe it applied.  The "potential" cost of ADA upgrades was out-of-sight (it often is, as you noted), but the county mostly accepted our recommendations after some negotiation.  So, the message is (I think), you need reasonable people involved (owner, architect and plan checker) who have a willingness to find a satisfactory middle ground where everyone benefits.

Carl Sramek