Seismic Question

We are currently rehabing a 50 year old reinforced concrete building
supported by timber pile foundations.  The building is currently three
stories in height and is proposed to be four stories when constructio is
complete.
How do you distribute seismic forces in the horizontal direction to the
columns, diaphragms and shear walls for this reinforced concrete three-story
building?  Also how do you calculate the later stiffness of this building?

Rich Mullen
Structural Engineer
Damiano Long LLC
(856) 225-9300 Fax (856)
e-mail rmullen(--nospam--at)damianolong.com