RE: Tensile capacity of threaded rods

I guess this way they only have to list one strength value, but it does
make the calculation more tedious. If you have the ASTM A307 Spec, see
Table 3. The tensile stress areas for UNC bolts from 1/4 in. through 4
in. diameter are listed and the equation used to calculate them is given
in footnote a. I believe that the equation is also applicable to UNF
series threads, but not positive without looking it up. Hopefully the
table in A307 is all you'll need.

HTH,
Heath

Section