Re: Open Web Joists/Girders

We have received placement drawings and "calculations".   We had to point
out the section in the spec that called for calcs, ask a couple times, then
we finally got copies of their computer output.  I believe the calcs and
drawings were stamped.

BTW - it sounds like we provided the same type of info and requirements
that you did.

Ed Haninger
Fluor Daniel
Aliso

PS - Other than the joists, hope things are going well for you at ABS

                    THunt@absconsul
                    ting.com             To:     seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                    10/15/02 08:08
                    AM                   cc:
                    Please respond
                    to seaint            Subject:     Open Web Joists/Girders

I have a project with several buildings that utilize open web joists and
girders and one of the joist/girder suppliers who is bidding the work is
having a lot of heartburn with one of our notes that requires the
joist/girder supplier to submit stamped shop drawings and calculations.
Our drawings have very detailed notes providing all the loading required
for design.  These include DL, LL, Adloads, sprinklers, Em, and roof
mounted equipment weights in addition to member spans and spacing.  We have
shown typical joist sizes on the drawings but our intention is that these
sizes are only indicative depths for other disciplines to plan their work.
I told the joist/girder supplier he could consider our sizes as minimums if
this made him feel more comfortable and size up if their calculations so
dictate.

This very well known joist/girder supplier said they do not do roof design,
do not provide detailed shop drawings, and do not stamp drawings.  I told
this person that he is not designing the roof, only the joist/girders for
the loadings I have specified.  I also said I did not necessarily need
DETAILED shop drawings of every joist/girder but could live with the
placement drawings including typical installations details and a set of
calculations that was some how tied in to the placement drawing
joist/girder numbering scheme.  He still balked at this and said he would
not bid.

What are others experiencing with getting stamped drawings and calculations
from joist/girder suppliers?

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

the views of the company.