RE: Steel Upset Rod

See Table J3.2, footnote c in the 3rd Ed. LRFD Spec. or ASD spec. This
footnote essentially requires the major thread diameter to be larger
than the nominal diameter of the bolt. I believe that upset rods are
typically used to move the yielding from the shorter threaded portion of
the rod to the longer rod shank. This would require the tensile stress
area to be larger than the nominal body area of the rod. I would assume
that the rod ends are cold formed to create an area of larger
cross-section and then the threads are cut into the upset end. But, I'm
not a bolt manufacturer, so I could be wrong about the process. The rod
end would look something like:

------
>    <
>    <