Re: FW: Bracing connection design forces

The "Maximum Force" provisions is a way to say that something else in the
structural system may be limiting the maximum force, such as foundation
rotation.

One point that needs to be made is that the wording of the codes is not
always clear.  Sometimes it is necessary to be a student of the code and
read the background material.  Good sources for your library shelf are the
SEAOC Blue Book and the NEHRP Provisions Commentary.  Also, the Commentary
to ACI 318 and the AISC Seismic Provisions provide material specific
insights.

Regards,

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

*********

                    "Vasu, Ravi"
                    <Ravi.Vasu@jaco      To:     "seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org" <'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'>
                    bs.com>
                    10/15/02 08:57       cc:
                    AM
                    Please respond       Subject:     FW: Bracing connection design forces
                    to seaint

Rick,

Thanks.

But as you have mentioned, it is confusing.  I have gone through the UBC,
ch. 22 & the'omega factor discussion' few times.  It is not clearly defined

and still one could interpret(from the words)any way.
I am sort of saying YES to you.

One more question.

Pl. look at UBC section 2213.8.3.1(pg. 2-258),
In UBC section 2213.8.3.1(pg. 2-258), the forces for bracing
connection has 'The maximum force that can be tranferred to the
brace by the system'(3 rd item).  Does it mean, the load
combinations to use to find the force is from section 1612.3(pg.
2-4) ONLY?  or any other load combinations required?    If the load
combinations are only from section 1630.2, then forces from items 1
& 2 in section 2213.8.3.1 may not GOVERN at all.? (since we have to take
LEAST force only?)

I appreciate your response & thanks.

Ravi