Re: A490 bolts

........"If your structure is inside a building then the bolts probably
do not need
to be coated at all......"

This could become a very MISLEADING issue.   I've seen and heard this
before.
Some engineers assume that if inside a structure corrosion doe's not
occur and
therefore are becoming very ignorant.   Statements such as above may
become
misleading, especially, if the inside of a structure that produces a
corrosive environment
such as: manufacturing and chemical plants, theme park flumes, etc.

Desi J. Kiss, PE

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 07:19:14 -0700 THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com writes:
> Javier,
>
> The reason A490 bolts can not be galvanized is due to the
> possibility of
> hydrogen embrittlement.  This is a concern when tensile strengths
> approaches 200 ksi.  A490 bolts are specified at 170 ksi but due to
> manufacturing variances it was close enough to incorporate the
> restriction.
>
> If your structure is inside a building then the bolts probably do
> not need
> to be coated at all.  If your structure is outside and the steel is
> galvanized then I would switch to A325 bolts which can be
> galvanized.  If
> your structure is outside and the steel is being painted then the
> A490
> bolts can be spot painted after installation.
>
> As a general comment, I would say you should be careful when
> specifying
> A490 bolts to make sure that the sizes you are specifying are
> readily
> available especial in remote areas and countries.  There is also a
> concern
> that if you are using both A325 and A490 bolts and your construction
> team
> is suspect then there is a possibility that they could be
> mis-installed.
>
> Thomas Hunt, S.E.
> ABS Consulting
>

> "Javier Encinas" <jencinas(--nospam--at)coqui.net>
> 10/15/2002 06:19 PM
> Please respond to seaint
>

>         To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>         cc:
>         Subject:        A490 bolts
>

> Does anybody know why galvanizing A490 bolts is not allowed? Also,
> what
> measures are usually taken to protect these bolts against corrosion?
>
> Javier Encinas
> Encinas & Associates

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.