Unbonded Seismic Bracing

I am reading articles about "unbonded seismic bracing" developed by a Japanese researcher, followed up by a New Zealand engineer, and subsequently used for an upgrade to the Psychology & Geography block at the University of Christchurch.  I understand that it has recently been accepted in the US as an acceptable bracing system.  It is essentially a "friction" type bracing (?).  I haven't finished my review of the detail, but it may be a rival to current friction dampers.

Does anyone have on-site experience with this type of bracing?

Thor A Tandy  P.Eng, MIPENZ
Victoria BC
Canada
e-mail: vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net