Re: Unbonded Seismic Bracing

The unbonded seismic bracing system is not a friction damper.  The idea is
to enclose the brace so that general buckling is prevented and force a more
ductile, energy absorbing behavior to occur.

Ed Haninger
Fluor

                    "vicpeng"
                    <vicpeng@telus.      To:     "SEAINT" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    net>
                    10/17/02 09:15       cc:
                    AM
                    Please respond       Subject:     Unbonded Seismic Bracing
                    to seaint

I am reading articles about "unbonded seismic bracing" developed by a
Japanese researcher, followed up by a New Zealand engineer, and
subsequently used for an upgrade to the Psychology & Geography block at the
University of Christchurch.  I understand that it has recently been
accepted in the US as an acceptable bracing system.  It is essentially a
"friction" type bracing (?).  I haven't finished my review of the detail,
but it may be a rival to current friction dampers.

Does anyone have on-site experience with this type of bracing?

Thor A Tandy  P.Eng, MIPENZ
Victoria BC
Canada
e-mail: vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net