RE: Unbonded Seismic Bracing

Yes, we did a  retrofit on a two story steel braces building damaged by the Nisqually Earthquake in Seattle. We inserted calibrated friction dampers calibrated for each individual brace.There is a firm in Tacoma WA who did the design.(there is nothing in the building codes that would give you  guidance on how to do it).

-----Original Message-----
From: vicpeng [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 9:15 AM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Unbonded Seismic Bracing

I am reading articles about "unbonded seismic bracing" developed by a Japanese researcher, followed up by a New Zealand engineer, and subsequently used for an upgrade to the Psychology & Geography block at the University of Christchurch.  I understand that it has recently been accepted in the US as an acceptable bracing system.  It is essentially a "friction" type bracing (?).  I haven't finished my review of the detail, but it may be a rival to current friction dampers.

Does anyone have on-site experience with this type of bracing?

Thor A Tandy  P.Eng, MIPENZ
Victoria BC
Canada
e-mail: vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net