RE: Unbonded Seismic Bracing

Thor,
Jeffrey Hubbell at Casper, Phillips & Assoc. was the struct. eng. on the job,  he knows the details. You may contact him at casperph(--nospam--at)cranedesign.com.

-----Original Message-----
From: vicpeng [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 10:26 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Unbonded Seismic Bracing

Thanks Karl, however, my mail wasn't clear.  I'm interested in hearing from companies that have used the "unbonded brace" system in their retrofits.  I was incorrectly comparing it to friction damper systems as a similar method.

But having said that, who manufactured the braces you used?  Here, there is also no prescriptive guide to the use of the damper systems, however, we have the code "out" that testing can be used to justify the system(s).  The developers and manufacturers here have their own data etc, and the few that have been installed have satisfied the respective Clients.  BC Building Corporation, Concorde University, etc have used the friction damper systems.

Ed Haninger has corrected my impression of the brace, and I immediately finished reading the first of the articles i started on.  So I'm slightly wiser (?).

Thor A Tandy  P.Eng, MIPENZ
Victoria BC
Canada