Re: IBC "Oops" (Was Residential Design Discussion)

In a message dated 10/17/2002 2:06:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time, dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net writes:

When Rick Drake starts to design residences for a living then I might
pay closer attention to his comments.

You might as well include me in that broadside as well, so "pay attention"-  I too in my practice have "designed residences for a living" and somehow have managed to do so under the strictures, requirements, guidelines, whatever, etc. of the UBC '97 without undue pain to my clients, to the intent of the code and sound engineerinig principles, and to my professional practice and liveliehood.  I agree too well that the "code" (take your pick as to which one, or all) is a very  imperfect  thing under which we must labor, but ad hominum fulminations against individuals who participated in trying to formulate guidelines for puclic safety, no matter how flawed these guidelines might ultimately have proven to be (and that proof has yet to be conclusively established), are becoming very tiresome indeed.  Recognize that the criteria to which you, and perhaps even myself and others, object are currently beyond the control of those who, rightly or wrongly but in good faith, promulgated them.  Even, as quotes from un-lamented past politicians have it, "mistakes were made."   So it is useless in flogging that particular horse - which like the Monty Python Parrot is "ex-" - and energies and ire should be directed elsewhere.

Ephraim G. Hirsch, FSEAOC