Re: Unbonded braces

Thor,

I have worked on several projects where unbonded braces were used.  Just to
be sure that we are talking about the same thing, unbonded braces are a
type of buckling restrained brace that has been patented by Nippon Steel of
Japan.  Their unbonded brace consists of a flat plate brace (the core)
within a grout filled HSS.  The grout and the core are separated by an
unbonding agent to keep the core from shedding load into the grout and HSS.

BRBF (buckling restrained braced frame) design provisions are currently in
the works and may show up in the 2003 NEHRP Recommended Provisions.  They
have been considered by most to have about the same performance as an EBF.

HTH,
Mark

RE:------------------------------------
Thanks Karl, however, my mail wasn't clear.  I'm interested in hearing =
from companies that have used the "unbonded brace" system in their =
retrofits.  I was incorrectly comparing it to friction damper systems as =
a similar method.

But having said that, who manufactured the braces you used?  Here, there =
is also no prescriptive guide to the use of the damper systems, however, =
we have the code "out" that testing can be used to justify the =
system(s).  The developers and manufacturers here have their own data =
etc, and the few that have been installed have satisfied the respective =
Clients.  BC Building Corporation, Concorde University, etc have used =
the friction damper systems.

Ed Haninger has corrected my impression of the brace, and I immediately =
finished reading the first of the articles i started on.  So I'm =
slightly wiser (?).

Thor A Tandy  P.Eng, MIPENZ
Victoria BC
Canada