RE: Wood blocks

Jake, it is special wood 6" thick pressure treated, 8" conc. slab will be poured over. It can't move.

From: "Jake Watson" <jwatson(--nospam--at)utahisp.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Wood blocks
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:41:46 -0600

I'm not sure you can rely on the wood to carry the load.  IIRC, there is a
fire rating issue with supporting steel on wood.  Can you design the anchor
bolts to support the column?  Treat them as mini columns under the base
plate.  Other than that, you need to check the wood bearing stress.  Either
parallel or perpendicular to grain, depending on how you are loading it.

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT