Re: List Members

Well stated, Bill.  I agree whole heartedly.

Ray Shreenan  SE
----- Original Message -----
From: <BCainse(--nospam--at)aol.com>
To: <Seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 10:18 AM
Subject: List Members

> I've been following the personal attacks against various list members with
disgust. Honest discussion and respectful disagreement, which have been
characteristics of this list service since it began, are going by the
wayside.

> I would like to offer an observation about several of the individuals that
have been vilified for their political views and for their opinions on
structural matters.

> First, Dennis Wish has been one of the strongest contributors throughout
the life of this list server.  While he holds very strong opinions and
expresses them forcefully, he has tirelessly worked to improve the codes we
design under for residential construction. Agree with him or not, all must
recognize how much heart he puts into his posts. The points Dennis has
raised have, on many occasions, caused me to think a little harder about
various code provisions, what they mean and whether they represent good
engineering.  I haven't always agreed with his interpretation, but I believe
his value in this forum is huge. I hope he will not go away as some have
suggested. in my view, that would be tragic.

> Second, Bill Polhemus has numerous times injected politics into his
commentary.  While I disagree with much of what he says politically, his
technical contributions where he has expertise and his willingness to ask
penetrating and clear questions where he does not, have brought a great deal
of value to the list.  I'm more than willing to listen to his political
diatribes due to the value I believe he brings to the list server with his
technical contributions.

> Third, Scott Haan makes some pretty outrageous remarks at times.  But look
at the numerous contributions he has made toward us all understanding plan
checkers better. He has put a human face on plan checkers and brought a
perspective many structural engineers have not experienced. I value his
contributions and look forward to reading his posts (Usually :<)  )

> Is there a pattern here?  I think so.  People who contribute the most do
have strong opinions.  I, for one, believe they are all important to the
value of the list server.  A little tolerance to opposing views will go a
long way to improving this list server.

> Frank discussion produces a stronger profession.  We may not be able to
solve all the ills with the various building codes, but, we should not stop
talking about issues just because they are not framed in the most
politically correct way.