RE: Wood Blocks

Title: RE: Wood Blocks

We specify the wood blocks the same size as the base plate. We specify southern yellow pine (or approved equal - I have used oak in the past) and it is to be installed in such a way that you have compression parallel to the grain. Typically we require this value to be 1200 psi. (you should check the total column load on these blocks to insure you don't overload them). The blocks get banded and pressure treated. Vapor barrier details are also very important around these thermal breaks.

General plastics also has some material that can also be used for this purpose. I have not specified it yet, so I have no experience with it. It appears to meet all of the requirements for this use and as per General has been used for this purpose.

Jon Meyer
Webber Smith Associates