Its official MD Board of Engineers doesn't care

The Maryland Board of Engineers states that is will not "monitor the actions of local building officials".

Here in MD apparently city and county government employees can do there own engineering without being an engineer or working under a engineer.  Several examples of this recently went before the Board with no action taken.

Does anyone have any examples of how other states or boards deals with regulating actions of the "non"licensed government employees?

Is there any recourse to block county employees form sizing beams and making it there own business to decide if items outside of the code's prescriptive design?

This really burns me up, the board is a paper tiger made up of mostly non-engineers they seam to only want to pile on when other states punish someone and I am not sure if they even have a investigation board.

Any help?

Jeff Fertich PE
Gettysburg, PA