Re: Beam vs "Slab band"

Thanks, Paul!
I agree with your understanding of slab bands...
Except for one correction...
the width of the slab band should be "greater than" three times the overall thickness.
In your zeal to respond to my listing, you accidentally wrote "less than".

My question is based on seeing designs by others that call out "slab band"
instead of "beam" and then using requirements for slab, instead of beams in the
design of these members.  This is being done for a non-PT slab, and is in the lower
parking garage portion of a major (240') tall building.

My opinion is that such an element in a non-PT slab should be designed as a beam,
as the thickening serves to affect the stiffness and load distribution through the
floor system.

I was wondering if others had see this type of design, other than the post tensioning
application, as you have quoted from PTI's "Design Fundamentals of Post-Tensioned
Concrete Floors"