Re: Beam vs "Slab band"

There has been al lot of recent research into the performance of shallow
beams (the beams are typically about twice the depth of the slab and
significantly wider than the columns), especially in seismic areas using
them in moment frames.  But, to my knowledge, there are still treated as
and called beams, not slab-bands.  Thus, they must meet all the
requirements of beams plus some other requirements due to their unique
nature.

If you want to look for the research, look for papers done by James Wight
at the University of Michigan on the subject (try ACI Structural Journal).
While I am sure there are others doing research in this area, I know Jim
Wight has does done some with his students since he was my advisor
(although I did not do shallow beam research).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI