RE: Masonry Shear walls - RAM Program

I would like to hear about RAM specifically for concrete buildings. Using ETABS for concrete builidng was always very frustating. One of the version, which we do not use it at all now, even calculated wrong dead loads base shears. Also very slow to work with graphics - eats up all the memory; sometimes stops working. Does not seem to be a professional looking program at all considering the cost. I still favor SAP90 for analysis. ETABS is not upto what it claims to be.

 I wonder if anybody has used ETABS or RAM for concrete buildings.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart, Matthew [mailto:mStuart(--nospam--at)schoordepalma.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 10:04 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Masonry Shear walls

RAM unfortunately does not take into account flexible diaphragms. It also does not include collector loads as axial forces acting on the horizontal components of a vertically braced framed as the load path mechanism for transferring the diaphragm reactions into the braced bay.

D. Matthew Stuart, P.E., S.E., P.Eng.
Senior Project Manager
Schoor DePalma
Engineers and Consultants