Re: Seismic loads on retaining walls

I want to describe my retaining/wall design process. If anyone has different
opinion, let's discuss.

For the design of retaining/shear walls against soil pressure, we use the
geotech engineers' soil pressure at rest condition if the wall is not
cantilevered. The surcharge is calculated considering what is going on the top
of grade. We count additional dead load and live load. If there is dead load
within the imaginary soil failure line, we use the superimposed dead load by
mulitplying the soil coefficient. If there is live load, for example 250 psf for
the emergency access load, we use the live load by multiplying the soil
coefficient.
For seismic, we add the soil pressure using the equation given in FEMA356, pp
4-28 - 4-29. However, we use different load combinations based on ASCE 7
including earthpressure and seismic.

Best Regards,

begin:vcard
n:Doo;Chung-Soo
tel;fax:415-781-2718
tel;work:415-781-1505
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:cdoo(--nospam--at)sdesf.com
fn:Chung-Soo Doo, Ph.D.
end:vcard