Flag Pole Footings.

I'm doing a  preliminary design for some flag pole footings that will support an 2000 sq. ft house.  They're non-constrained with an allowable lateral load of 300 pcf (That includes the increase of 2 allowed for 1/2" deflection tolerance).  My design criteria is the 1997 UBC.

Everytime I've done a basic analysis on the flag pole footings just using equation 6-1 of the UBC I've ended up with sizes that, in my opinion, appear to be quite large.  Does anyone know of any "design tricks" that could be employed to reduce these footing sizes?

Thanks.

Tim Spengler SE