Re: Engineers versus detailers Part 1

I've read your second post as well, and generally agree.  Here's my (ideal)
approach.

I calculate all beam reactions and provide them on the drawings.  Where not
noted, beam reactions are assumed to be 10 kips (LRFD).  I provide standard
details of beam-to-beam and beam-to-column connections, including assumed
capacities for detailing.  I require the detailer to bridge that gap.

All other connections are generally detailed.  If some are not, the exact
detailing of those connections is unimportant.  In any case, I review all
details in shop drawings, including overall beams lengths, copes, setbacks, et
ceterea.  If I have any questions, however minor, I call the detailer directly.

If I make a mistake (which never happens ;-) ), I inform the detailer of my
error and the correction with a phone call and a fax directly to the detailer,
w/ copies to the GC, client, and prime consultant.  I have not yet received a
charge-back for those errors, which have all been minor.

-Keith Fix, PE