Duplicate Contracts

I have seen this done, but don't know which way is correct, or the legal
way to do this.

When I write an agreement with a client I make 2 originals, sign both and
send them to the client.  I ask the client to sign both and send me one
copy back.  Is this the correct way to do this?  Would it be better to
have one copy signed and then a photo copy made?  Also, if I do the 2
copies method, should they both be originals, on my letter head, or
should one be an original on letter head and the other be a photo copy of
the original?

Does it make any difference?

Thanks.

Rich