Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Allowable Deflection

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
In the past, I have been told to use L/400 for deflections due to wind for simple span members and 2L/400 for cantilevered members.  I don't know of UBC criteria for wind and brittle finishes, but on a slightly related topic vertical deflection for elements supporting masonry is limited to L/600 per section 2106.2.9.
Los Angeles, CA
-----Original Message-----
From: David Topete [mailto:davetopete(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 10:08 AM
Subject: Allowable Deflection

Hello all,

I have a quick question...  Where in the UBC is the allowable deflection for exterior walls due to wind?  I have cantilevered TS sections for a parapet/screen wall with a stucco finish.  Is it h/240 for brittle finishes?  Can somebody cite the UBC reference?  TIA.

David Topete, PE 

Do you Yahoo!?
Y! Web Hosting - Let the expert host your web site