RE: Question on need to use "skip" live loads in 2-way slabs

Everyone,

Thanks for the responses to my question. I will let everyone know (next week) what the differences in design are between “skip” and “non-skip”.

Although the differences in design between the two load patterns may be small, there will be measurable cost differences.

I just want to be certain that I am not being overly and unnecessarily conservative in my approach to this issue (skipped vs. non-skipped live loads).

Does anyone else out there have any other thoughts on this issue?

Thanks again.

Clifford Schwinger

Out of curiosity,  what is the difference in the reinforcement required when you skip live loads versus when you don't skip live loads- i.e. what is the difference in the the post-tensioning required and what is the difference in the additional mild steel required for ultimate moment?  What is the difference in the shear calculations?